Are You Certain Atheists are to the Extreme?

Like most atheists, I'm a very rational person. I don't have a conniption fit every time I see a Nativity scene displayed on public property. Though I would prefer it be absent, upon returning home I don't get out my laptop and begin a thorough letter writing campaign using words like, "disgusted" "outraged" and “had to pull over and upchuck the bean & cheese burrito I consumed for lunch!" (Aren't my columns ladylike!?)

Instead I prefer to target my rage at store clerks who respond to my after-purchase thank you with, "You're welcome," instead of, "No, thank you for your business." Makes me so mad!

But I digress...

Again, while I personally don't object to Nativity scenes on public grounds, me thinks you Christians have used your overwhelming majority to portray those who do protest such displays as kooks.

But why is someone insisting public property be free of Nativity scenes labeled "irrational," while a person demanding Nativity scenes be all over public property labeled "normal."

Because in America there are many more Christians than members of other religions and atheists combined, if half of you displayed a Nativity scene on your front lawn you could prevent someone like me from driving more than 50 feet without seeing yet another oversized PVC version of Saint Joseph the Carpenter!

But no, that's not enough! You can't be satisfied with 50% of the homes in America being adorned with Nativity scenes; each one must be in the exact location you deem appropriate. It's just like how you freak out when a store greeter says, "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". "Happy Holidays" covers more people and still expresses cheer and goodwill, but it's not enough. It must be the exact two words you've selected. It doesn't matter that you don't own the store and aren't forced to shop there. Yet you claim atheists are psychopathic for declaring a "war on Christmas"?

I understand many Christians don't care if store greeters say, "Happy Holidays" or "Satan is instructing me to remind you that apples are priced so low he needn't tempt anyone," just like I don't care if I'm blindsided with "Merry Christmas" a dozen times in a single Wal-Mart. There are sensitive Christians who only visit courthouses to make sure the Ten Commandments are prominently displayed, just like there are sensitive atheists who dedicate a majority of their time to ridding all public land of anything remotely religious.

Yet sensitive atheists alone are fanatical despite the fact that their desire is for everyone to follow the law!?

I know, you claim the Constitution doesn't specifically call for the separation of church and state; only declaring that the government cannot establish an official religion.

But if you declared that the members of your household would not establish support for a particular NFL team, then placed banners on which were printed the red and gold logo of the squad that plays weekly in San Francisco, everyone entering would be pretty certain they're in 49er country and therefore be mighty uncomfortable showing support for the Dallas Cowboys.

So stop saying people who don't agree with you are fanatical simply because anyone with a differing opinion must be nuts. "How crazy are they for failing to just shut up while we erect displays that violate the Constitution."

I know it's a little premature for a column related to holiday controversies, but I'm trying to get my Christmas writing done early.

No comments: