I Don't Know; I Just Live Here

Some of the most magical moments in life are watching children discover new things. The look on a youngster's face as the first butterfly lands on their arm is simply priceless.

But such joy at discovery doesn't have to cease once we reach a certain age.

Those of us with freewill often discover new things about ourselves. We discover that our view of the world is constantly changing.

I can't imagine walking around with a manual I was forced to consult whenever I witnessed questionable behavior. Once you learned all the rules and regulations contained in said manual; there wouldn't be much living left to do.

"How do you feel about the current case being argued in front of the Supreme Court?"

"It doesn't matter what I think - I am required by my pastor to consult a book which informs me of my feelings regarding such matters. Of course I hope I agree with the side I end up taking, but my opinions were formed centuries ago and completely out of my hands."

What kind of being would lovingly put you on this earth with freewill, yet tell you exactly how to view each and every issue?

And that's not even mentioning the fact that all of your actions are closely scrutinized.

"Do not partake in desirable behavior that harms no one," doesn't sound very loving to me. Especially when the alternative instruction, "Be a good person," was available.

It's like telling a child not to eat bacon, and then putting a crispy piece in front of his or her door just so you can vent some pent-up frustration once they succumb to the intoxicating aroma only cured pork products can provide.

According to you, god would like everyone to take on the role of an apathetic K-Mart employee.

"What do you mean your company's manual instructs you not to give me a refund; you clearly sold me a defective product!?"

"I don't know; I just work here."

"What do you mean your holy book declares my action a sin; I'm not hurting a single person!?"

"I don't know; I just live here."

The reason people are so willing to give up thought is because they fear the unknown. They've been told the consequences of failing to fall in line are so dire and long-lasting that compliance is by far the safest bet.

The believer in a specific religion says...

"If I'm wrong: so what?"

"If I'm right: eternity of perfection."

"If thinking for myself is wrong: afterlife of hurt."

Should I, Sarah Laimbeer, end up in said afterlife of hurt; at least I'll have the comfort in knowing that I had the figurative gonads to do it my way.

And let's face it; were you not afraid of spending eternity in hell, you wouldn't dream of disregarding your own opinion when making judgments.

No comments: