I Happily Wish You a "Merry Christmas"

Merry Christmas!

Sorry, I hope you didn't do a spit take with your morning Joe after realizing that a real-life atheist just wished you Merry Christmas!.

The truth is most atheists are fairly normal people. You probably don't realize just how rational 99.9% of us are because the folks at Fox News have done a good job in portraying us as crazy zealots who won't rest until the word "merry" is never again uttered directly before the word "Christmas."

The attempt by Fox News to brand us as insane is equivalent to me portraying everyone in the Christian religion as having the same qualities as members of the KKK. The KKK brands themselves as Christians after all.

I will even go as far as wishing you Merry Christmas in a Christmassy color...

Merry Christmas!

In case you missed it; let me bold it and increase the font...

Merry Christmas!

Yes, it would be nice if there was a holiday during which you could return the favor, but I’m okay with that fact that you need a week or so where it's all about you!

I mean there is obviously insecurity that dwells deep within you which causes you to seek the comfort of a religion that tells you you'll forever live in bliss should you happen to believe a specific book contains facts.

So you need Christmas.

You really need Christmas.

Merry Christmas by the way.

I can even appreciate some of the fantastic things Christmas has given us.

It’s a Wonderful Life – Great movie! Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I don't believe in hope, love and togetherness! I just believe in getting together to laugh and have fun, as opposed to getting together to pay my respects to something that doesn't exist.

A day and half off work – Almost makes me want to say praise Jesus!

So, unlike the few atheists insistent on getting press this time of year, I choose to take a stance of strength.

I am content to live my life without a specific time of year where everyone celebrates my beliefs and I get angry with them should they choose not to greet me in a certain way.

You, on the other hand, are emotionally unequipped to deal with an entire year going by without everyone taking a few days to focus on your religion.

In fact, you remind me a lot of my good friend's toddler. Every time the little tike does something he deems worthwhile he holds up his creation and won't stop nagging until you say something to the effect of, "I love it; you did a good thing!"

So in the spirit of the Season, let me just say, "You are good people who believe in virtue; not bigots who discriminate against those with whom you disagree."

Feel better?

In the words of the wise Bart Simpson, "Christmas is the time of year when people of all religions get together to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ."

Well Bart, you can count me in!

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: