God Wasn't a Worker

As a plethora of atheists have touched on many times, organized religion is full of wonderful contradictions that even the most learned scholars cannot properly explain.

Perhaps this is trivial, but I still can't figure out why a being that has no limitations needed to take a day off after creating the world.

"Wow guys, I'm beat - I'm going to spend Sunday taking it easy," aren't words you'd normally equate with the Almighty. Yet on the seventh day He rested.

But why?

He wanted you to take one day and do nothing but worship him, so He took one day off and did nothing but worship Himself?

If He's God, why didn't He just tell you to take a day off! Isn't that one of the requirements of being a Christian: that you must do what He says!?

And why would He encourage laziness? Wouldn't hard work honor Him?

And I'm sorry, but He "rested"? Why does God need rest? That means God can do anything except work seven days in a row. I suppose I should be impressed seeing as how I only work a measly five days a week. Or perhaps I should look at it like this: "God only has the stamina to work one more day a week than myself! I'm God-like in my work ethic!"

Does God not like work? Is it unpleasant for him? Why would He create something He didn't like? After He created the earth, did He say to His angels, "I can't tell you how glad I am that's over," while popping open a beer and picking up the remote control to watch a religious program about His glory.

I just think whoever wrote the Bible should have been a little more careful when it came to accuracy. Then again, I'm the same person who got angry when Rachel from Friends sisters came to visit and we discovered that they couldn't possibly have accumulated the wealth needed to buy a ski lodge despite the fact that in an earlier episode Rachel took the gang, minus Ross, for a weekend of skiing at "her sister's retreat."

I suppose the writers of the Bible had an understanding of just how gullible future generations would be and felt all that was needed to convince them of God's existence was a bunch of words carelessly slapped together.

Or maybe they didn't dream it would work...

"Hey Ezekiel, should we proof read this thing? It's got to be full of inaccuracies."

"Why bother - it's not like its going to eventually become the best selling book in the history of the world or anything. It's so full of holes I doubt I'll even be able to get my parents to shell out a single shekel."

Well, I better go now; I'm tired after all this writing.

Uh-oh, maybe that means I'm turning into one of those religious zealots!

No comments: